Coaches' Code of Ethics
As professional educators and leaders, we will:
- Exemplify the highest moral character as a role model for young people.
- Recognize the individual worth and reinforce the self-image of each team member.
- Encourage and assist team members to set personal goals to achieve their highest academic potential.
- Create a set of training rules for athletes which reflects the positive values of abstaining from the use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco.
- Strive to develop the qualities of leadership, initiative, and good judgment in each team member.
- Communicate and interpret program goals and objectives to parents and community.
- Provide a safe environment for practice and competition.
- Gain an awareness of the importance of prevention, care and treatment of athletic injuries.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of the game official.
- Teach and abide by the rules of the game in letter and in spirit.
- Build and maintain ethical relationships with Coaches and administrators.
- Strive for excellence in coaching skills and techniques through professional improvement.
- Promote personal fitness and good nutrition.
- Be modest in victory and gracious in defeat.
- Encourage a healthy respect for the overall athletic program and its vital roles in education.
This coach's Code of Ethics pledge was taken from the National High School Coaches' Association's web site. http://www.hscoaches.org/coaches_ethics.php