Cut Bank School District
THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES 1113
A trustee position becomes vacant before the expiration of a term, when any of the following occurs:
1. Death of the trustee;
2. Resignation, in writing, filed with the Clerk;
3. Trustee moves out of the nominating district, establishing residence elsewhere;
4. Trustee is no longer a registered elector of the District under the provisions of § 20-20-301, MCA;
5. Trustee is absent from the District for sixty (60) consecutive days;
6. Trustee fails to attend three (3) consecutive meetings of the trustees without good excuse;
7. Trustee has been removed under the provisions of § 20-3-310, MCA; or
8. Trustee ceases to have the capacity to hold office under any other provision of law.
9. A trustee position also shall be vacant when an elected candidate fails to qualify.
When a trustee vacancy occurs, the remaining trustees shall declare such position vacant and fill such vacancy by appointment. The Board will receive applications from any qualified persons seeking to fill the position after suitable public notice. The Board will appoint one (1) candidate to fill the position.
Should the Board fail to fill a vacancy within sixty (60) days from the creation of a vacancy, the county superintendent shall appoint, in writing, a competent person to fill such vacancy. An appointee shall qualify by completing and filing an oath of office with the county superintendent within fifteen (15) days after receiving notice of the appointment and shall serve until the next regularly scheduled school election and a successor has qualified.
Cross Reference: 1240 Duties of Individual Trustees
Legal References: § 20-3-308, MCA Vacancy of trustee position
§ 20-3-309, MCA Filling vacated trustee position – appointee qualification and term of office
Adopted on: April 8, 2014
Reviewed on: March 11, 2014