Cut Bank School District
THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES 1135P
School Board Advocacy
Once the Board of Trustees has determined that it is in its best interest to actively become an advocate for the education of the students in its District, the following guidelines are established to help facilitate the process.
1. An additional item on the agenda of the Annual Organizational Meeting, usually held in May of each year, will include the appointment of one (1) of its trustees as the Board Legislative Contact (BLC) to the Montana School Boards Association (MTSBA).
a. The District Clerk will submit the name to the Administrative Service Specialist of the MTSBA no later than one (1) month after the appointment.
2. The Board will identify this appointee and/or additional trustees as registered lobbyists for the District.
a. The District Clerk will make sure that the appointed trustee(s) are sufficiently registered as lobbyists for the District.
3. The threshold for reimbursement of expenses before the lobbying license requirement becomes effective will be determined by the Commissioner of Political Practices.
4. The BLC, or designee, will attend the Day of Advocacy during each legislative session.
5. The BLC, or designee, will attend the annual Delegate Assembly.
6. The Board may set additional parameters, including the number of trips to the Legislature, the number of regional and state meetings approved, etc.
7. The Board will include an item on its monthly agenda, giving the BLC an opportunity to discuss advocacy information.
Legal Reference: § 5-7-112, MCA Payment threshold – inflation adjustment
ARM 44.12.204 Payment threshold – inflation adjustment
Promulgated on: April 8, 2014
Reviewed on: March 11, 2014