Cut Bank School District
Searches and Seizure
The following rules shall apply to any searches and the seizure of any property by school personnel:
1. The Superintendent, principal, and the authorized assistants of either shall be authorized to conduct any searches or to seize property on school premises, as further provided in this procedure.
2. If the authorized administrator has reasonable suspicion to believe that any locker, car, or other container of any kind on school premises contains any item or substance which constitutes an imminent danger to the health and safety of any person or to the property of any person or the District, the administrator is authorized to conduct a search of any car, locker, or container and to seize any such item or substance of any kind on school premises without notice or consent.
3. No student shall hinder, obstruct, or prevent any search authorized by this procedure.
4. Whenever circumstances allow, any search or seizure authorized in this procedure shall be conducted in the presence of at least one (1) adult witness, and a written record of the time, date, and results shall be made by the administrator. A copy shall be forwarded to the Superintendent as soon as possible.
5. In any instance where an item or substance is found which would appear to be in violation of the law, the circumstance shall be reported promptly to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
Promulgated on: April 8, 2014
Reviewed on: March 11, 2014