Cut Bank School District
Student Use of Buildings: Equal Access
Non‑curriculum related secondary school student organizations may conduct meetings on school premises without intervention on the basis of the religious, political, philosophical or other content of the meeting.
The following criteria must be met:
1. The meeting is voluntary and student‑initiated.
2. There is no sponsorship of the meeting by the school, the government, or its agents or employees.
3. The meeting must occur during non‑instructional time on regular school days.
4. Employees or agents of the school or government are present only in a non‑participatory capacity.
5. The meeting does not materially and substantially interfere with the orderly conduct of educational activities within the school.
6. Non‑school persons may not direct, conduct, control, or regularly attend activities.
Although the school assumes no sponsorship of these kinds of meetings, all meetings held on school premises must be scheduled and approved by the principal.
This policy pertains to student meetings. The school has the authority through its agent or employees to maintain order and discipline on school premises and to protect the well‑being of students and faculty.
Legal Reference: 20 U.S.C. 4071 Equal Access Act
Board of Education v. Mergens, 110 S.Ct. 2356 (1990)