Cut Bank School District
Student Health/Physical Screenings/Examinations
The Board may arrange each year for health services to be provided to all students. Such services may include but not be limited to:
1. Development of procedures at each building for isolation and temporary care of students who become ill during the school day;
2. Consulting services of a qualified specialist for staff, students, and parents;
3. Vision and hearing screening;
4. Scoliosis screening;
5. Immunization as provided by the Department of Public Health and Human Services.
Parents/guardians will receive written notice of any screening result which indicates a condition that might interfere or tend to interfere with a student’s progress.
In general the District will not conduct physical examinations of a student without parental consent to do so or by court order, unless the health or safety of the student or others is in question. Further, parents will be notified of the specific or approximate dates during the school year when screening administered by the District is conducted as well as notification of requirements of the District’s policy on physical examinations and screening of students, at least annually at the beginning of the school year and within a reasonable period of time after any substantive change in the policy which is:
1. Required as a condition of attendance.
2. Administered by the school and scheduled by the school in advance.
3. Not necessary to protect the immediate health and safety of the student or other students.
Parents or eligible students will be given the opportunity to opt out of the above-described screenings.
Students who wish to participate in certain extracurricular activities may be required to submit to a physical examination to verify their ability to participate in the activity. Students participating in activities governed by the Montana High School Association will be required to follow the rules of that organization, as well as other applicable District policies, rules, and regulations.
Legal Reference: § 20-3-324(20), MCA Powers and duties
20 U.S.C. 1232h(b) General Provisions Concerning Education
Adopted on: April 8, 2014
Reviewed on: March 11, 2014