NMSAA Spring 2003 Meeting Minutes
by Tara Thielman, Secretary/Treasurer
NMSAA Spring Meeting
May 5, 2003
Shelby School Administration Building
Meeting was brought to order by President Jim Gregg at 9:00AM
All members are present
Previous meeting’s minutes were read and accepted.
NMSAA’a checking account has $277.33. However, the president’s and secretary’s $50.00 stipend for the 2002-2003 year has to be subtracted. Next fall all schools will have to pay dues of $50.00 each.
Constitutional Amendment Discussions
- Volleyball scoring: There was discussion regarding how to score the regular season volleyball matches. Motion: There will be a minimum of 45 minutes playing time. The matches will consist of the best 2 out of 3; games played to 21 (win by 2) with a cap of 25 (can win 25-24). The if necessary 3rd game will by played to 15 (win by 2) with a cap of 17 (can win 17-16). The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
- Volleyball home team: There was discussion regarding how to determine the home game. Most host schools determine home team by first team listed on schedule. This explanation was accepted and no constitutional change was needed.
- Scheduling Combo Teams for Volleyball: Cut Bank Combo’s team will play in place of Sunburst’s 7th grade team or for Shelby “B” 8th grade team. Continue VB scheduling discussion at our October meeting.
- Track Boys’ Hurdle Height: Bill Schlepp asked if the boys’ hurdle height should be at 33” instead of 30”. He stated that the 8th grade boys have to move up to 36” in high school, by moving our height to 33” it wouldn’t be such a tough transition. Discussion followed, and it was decided that the AD’s should speak to their track coaches and bring back their thoughts to the October meeting.
- Scott Larson from Cut Bank stated that Kent Shaffer is retiring from Middle School Track Coach. He has put in 28 years coaching middle school track and running numerous meets every year. Scott was wondering if we could recognize Kent with a plaque for hid dedication to middle school athletics. Motion: NMSAA would purchase a plaque recognizing Kent for his years of service to the NMSAA. $50.00 limit. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
- Brian Barrows from Sunburst stated that we should also recognize Bill Schlepp for his 22 years of service to the NMSAA as he is leaving Chester to take the Superintendent’s position in Round Up. Motion: NMSAA would purchase a plaque recognizing Bill for his years of service to the NMSAA. $50.00 limit. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
- Sportsmanship Creed discussion: It was decided that the NMSAA Sportsmanship Creed is to be read orally at all parents’ meetings and at all final four (Season Ending) events. It is highly recommended that it be printed in all programs, posted in conspicuous places in the gym or on the football/track field, and printed in the local newspapers.
- Scheduling for the 2003-2004 year then took place. In girls’ basketball Sunburst 8th and the Browning Boarding School 7th grade teams will travel together. East Glacier will only have a 7th grade team. In Boy’s Basketball the Browning Boarding Dorm 8th and the East Glacier 7th grade teams will travel together. Sunburst will have 7th and 8th grade boys’ teams. In girls’ volleyball Sunburst 8th and East Glacier 7th will travel together.
- Elections of Officers. It was motioned and seconded to keep Jim Gregg as NMSAA President and Tara Thielman as NMSAA Secretary/Treasurer. Passed unamimously.
Meeting adjourned at 12:20PM
Next meeting will be Monday, October 20, 2003—Jim, please call and schedule the conference room in Shelby.